Thursday 2 July 2015

Subtle problems linking dll's built with different compilers

You should generally try to link DLL's and exe's built with the same compiler. I recently had an issue where I redirected C++ std::cout and cerr in my exe, but got no apparent output from these functions in my linked DLL.

Turns out, the exe, being new, was built with the Visual Studio 2013 (v120) toolset, while my DLL's, for backward compatibility, were using v110_xp - the Visual Studio 2012/Windows XP-compatible toolset. And because they used the MD dynamically linked runtimes, they were silently, and happily, loading two different versions of the runtime libraries.

Therefore, my redirects (std::cout.rdbuf() etc) were working on the exe's copy of the runtime, and of course, not on the DLL's, entirely different, runtime library.

No comments:

Post a Comment